• Cheryl

Baby Cows!

Updated: Apr 8

It’s Day 22 of what I’ve been calling “Coronacation” (which now seems rather blasphemous as the numbers keep climbing). Talk about “anything but routine!” And since it IS so obviously not routine, I'm writing this as part of my memory-keeping of this period in my life and in world history. I'd love to know what everyone else's new normal is like - feel free to share in the comments!

This morning, as I was making my tea, I happened to glance out the kitchen window at the neighboring farm and saw one of their big black cows standing guard over two tiny black dots. I excitedly yelled for Casey - aka “my love,” in the original ABR podcast episodes - and we immediately ran over to take a look. Twin baby cows, literally JUST born - Mama was cleaning up the ground when we got there. One of the babies was up and about, all wet and shiny, even doing some wobbly hops and jumps, while the other one was still curled up in a lump and didn’t move the whole time we were there. I’ve been keeping an eye on them from my upstairs office window. Both dots were on the move at one point, which was a relief - I was so afraid the lump was a stillborn.

The farm further down the road has FOUR baby cows this year, including another set of twins. Casey and I walked down to take a look at them this past weekend. This is one of the things I love about living in the country. It’s been three years now since I moved out here, into Casey’s 100-plus-year-old farmhouse on the family farm. I’ve always been an animal lover, so to have baby cows to watch grow up each summer has been a huge joy. To have six babies show up in the last week is an extra blessing during this pandemic. I’m so excited for them to start running around and playing - that always makes me laugh!

We’re so lucky, in that we live in the middle of nowhere - even the neighboring farm requires a bit of a trek to get to. We’re naturally isolated, which means we can go outside whenever we want without having to worry. So far - knock on wood - our county is registering coronavirus cases in the single digits. However, we’re still taking every precaution. We don’t go out and about; we don’t have people over. Casey brings the mail in from the mailbox each day and spreads it out on the enclosed front porch for three days, after which he opens everything out there and discards the outer boxes and envelopes. When we do need to go out for incidental things, he’s the one who goes, and he scrubs himself and everything else he brings home. We’re not taking any chances.

We’re also lucky in that Casey’s job is still stable. He’s always had the freedom to set his own schedule, and while he does have an office, he routinely works outside of it, so it was a minor adjustment for him to set up shop downstairs in the dining room. As for me, I’ve worked from home for the past couple of years, so the only thing that’s changed for me is that Casey’s here every day (and so far, we’re still getting along!).

Personally, I’ve always enjoyed being at home, even when I was working a regular job elsewhere. For me, coming home has always felt like arriving at a vacation destination; I’ve always seen my home as an oasis from the rest of the world. These days, while I don’t mind it, I miss knowing that I COULD go out and about if I wanted to. Up till a month ago, I was going to yoga class three to four nights a week. I was going shopping. I was meeting my mother for coffee at our favorite coffeehouse. I'd just started my weekly Sunday-morning radio show at the local radio station in February - by mid-March, management was only using full-time employees to cover all shifts, I'm assuming to minimize traffic in and out of the studio. Casey and I have gone to Wednesday Wing Night at a local establishment since we first started dating nearly four years ago. We would go to my parents’ for dinner every Sunday evening. It’s an unsettling feeling, knowing that we can’t do any of that for the foreseeable future. We’re not on lockdown, but we’re not as free as we used to be, either.

Still, I thank God every day that I’m not still in the midst of radiation treatment - if this has happened a year ago, I would have been! I’m concerned about doctor appointments I’ve had to put on hold, and appointments I have scheduled for May, but I’m so fortunate that all of them are follow-ups and/or precautionary “peace of mind” tests, not appointments that are crucial because I’m still actually sick.

Things could be so much worse for us. Anytime I start feeling anxious about what’s going on in the news, I remind myself of that. It helps.

How are all of you holding up?